This is a history of Kingsman Dutton that has been passed down in my family.
The memory of Kingsman Dutton and family, written by Samuel Dutton in the 84th year of his age and in the year 1887 at Hockingport, Ohio. The history being as follows to wit:
Kingsman Dutton and Mary Craig , his wife were born in Delaware County, Pa as follows: Kingman Dutton Feb. 5th 1759, died Hockingport, Athens County, Ohio, 1857. Mary, his wife born Nov. 21st, 1763 and died in 1834. They were married about the year 1784 and moved to Frederick Co. Va. in about the year 1787 or 1788. James Dutton, the first son was born Delaware Co. [PA] on the 6th day of march, 1785. Jane Dutton same place 24th December, 1786. John Dutton, born in Frederick Co. 28th September, 1788 and died in Troy Township, Athens Co., Ohio, 1848. Kingsman Dutton was born in Frederick Co. or Hampshire Co., June 26th 1791; died In Hockingport Ohio in 1823, Samuel Dutton, present writer was born in Hampshire Co. Virginia [now West Virginia] 8th February , 1794. the only survivor. Craig Dutton was born in Hampshire Co. in 1796, died in Hockingport, 1866, aged 70. Mary Dutton born in Hampshire Co. Va. 1799 December 6th, died in Meigs Co. Ohio in 1837. Ruth Dutton born in Frederick Co. Va., May 6th, 1801 died in Hockingport, Ohio in 1862. An infant daughter was born in Wood Co., Va. [now West Virginia] near present Parkersburg sometime in 1805 or 1806 and was buried on Glass's farm three miles up the Little Kanawha from Parkersburg. Father Dutton moved from Philadelphia Pa. about the year 1787 or 1788 to Frederick Co. Virginia, stayed there by moving 3 or 4 times, a part of the time in Hampshire Co., but was in Frederick Co. last, and moved from Frederick Co. in November or December, 1802 to Wood Co. Virginia [now West Virginia] and settled 2 1/2 miles up Little Kanawha from Parkersburg and adjoining Glass's place, stayed there 4 years and moved on December 11th, 1806 to Troy Township , Athens County, Ohio and settled on the bank of the Ohio about one mile above the mouth of Big Hockhocking , where he remained until his death as above. Father Dutton was a farmer, and blacksmith and barrel maker by trade, and while he was at his trade the boys carried on the farm, he taking hold of the cradle in harvest time, James Dutton, the oldest son never lived in Troy Township but went in the spring of 1807 to Ross Co., Ohio to do for himself . He remained in Ross and Highland Counties several years, bought a tract of land, built a house on it and married Betsy West and raised five sons and two daughters and died in the year 1827, May 12th. His wife died in 18??. Jane Dutton married Joel Wollfe and lived in Troy Township and on Kanawha several [years] and then went to Highland Co., raised six sons and four daughters and died in the year 18??. Mary Dutton married Thomas McVey and died in Shade, Meigs Co. Ohio and is buried in the garden graveyard; she raised no family, lost three. All the rest remain in Troy Township and were buried in Hockingport graveyard whose history is well known to those living.
When the Dutton's came to Troy Township, it was an almost unbroken forest and there were but two families in the place. Benjamin Hoyt lived on the lot where Swaders cooper shop is and kept tavern in a little log cabin about 20' x 16', one and a half stories high; had about 6 acres cleared except the logs, they were cut down and trimmed up and the brush burned. Mr. Hoyt had about 12 acres cleared on Section 8 and the hill where Warrick Spencer's orchard now is. Mr. Hoyt had about two acres cleared right in front of Charles Curtis's barn, Then comes Jacob Humphrey at the mouth of Four Mile Run, he had a house put up and about two acres cleared and the best log house yet. Then the Ministerial lot or the Paulk settlement where there was about 30 acres cultivated. The the Barrows Richardson place and Federal, etc.
The forest abounded with wild game such as deer, bear, coons, foxes, wildcats, opossums, and turkeys by the hundred and some panthers and wolves. These animals such as deer, bear, turkey, and coon was the wild meat for the pioneers.